The strong-minded Ellen Jolly led the Ladies Auxiliary of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in the fight to erect this monument. Originally, in 1915, her plan was for the Nuns of the Battlefield monument to be erected in Arlington Cemetery. However, she encountered years of protest from countless military and political officials who thought the memorial should not be put in the cemetery. Undeterred, Jolly continued her efforts until the monuments eventual unveiling in 1924 at its present location on Rhode Island Ave NW, at the intersection of M Street & Connecticut Ave NW in Washington D.C.
The monument was created by sculptor Jerome Connor and features a granite slab with a bas relief depicting 12 'nuns' dressed in traditional habits. Each end of the granite is flanked by bronze, seated female figures. Below the relief reads, “To the memory and in honor of the various orders of sisters who gave their services as nurses on battlefields and in hospitals during the Civil War.”
Copyright 2013 ©Davis Studio, LLC. All rights reserved.
"Amazon, Kindle, Kindle Fire, the Amazon Kindle logo and the Kindle Fire logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates."
Android and Google play are trademarks of Google Inc.
NOOK Color™, NOOK®HD, NOOK®HD+ are registered trademarks of Barnes & Nobles
iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Civil War Truce
Story of Sister Lucy
“…extensively researched and
The Kindle Book Review